Choosing the style as a pulldown menu a la Textmate syntax

francois

06 Aug, 2013 01:09 PM

Fletcher,

In textmate, at the bottom of the page, there is a status bar, which amongst many things, also enables a choice of the syntax highlighting scheme that is rendering the output.

Would you consider making the choice of style another information panel, like TOC, changes, or references ?

F.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Fletcher on 06 Aug, 2013 08:28 PM

I probably won't. My preference is to strip away as much interface "cruft" as possible, not to add more.

In fact, the more I use the Cmd-Shift-? shortcut, the more incredible I think it is. One shortcut works across "all" applications to immediately allow you to select any menu option with the keyboard. No shortcuts. No point/click/drag/move mouse across displays.

In this case, for example, simply type the shortcut followed by "style", and you can see all available styles, type the one you want, etc.

Ultimately, I would *might* like to find an appropriate alternative to the HUD panels, as some people strongly dislike them. I've added the ability to remember positioning, but if the number of HUDs increases, the drudgery of managing them increases.

I prefer not to add more HUDs than necessary, and to keep them as simple as possible. For now, I don't have a good alternative for the HUDs that exist. I think the menu bar is sufficient for Styles, especially given the keyboard shortcuts.

2. Fletcher closed this discussion on 06 Aug, 2013 08:28 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac