Info palette and comments

Rebecca Ross

03 Aug, 2013 01:52 PM

Hello, thanks for the excellent software. I use <!-- --> style comments while writing to keep scraps of notes and thoughts that inform the writing but are not intended for the final tex. I also often need to work to a word count. My suggestion is to create a preference to exclude comments from the word count since they don't appear in the final text. I realise the reason this doesn't work is that the Markdown engines leaves the HTML comments as is. Wondering if there's a better way to do comments where they do get excluded from the wordcount? Thanks again. Cheers from London, Rebecca

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Fletcher on 03 Aug, 2013 08:32 PM

Hello, London!

;)

HTML-style comments are also used to pass raw text through when exporting to other formats, e.g. LaTeX.

The difficulty with word counts are that they won't accurately reflect the word count of the final text regardless of whether you include comments. There are two many words and things that look like words that end up getting stripped out, or duplicated based on where they fall. And what about image captions, or titles, etc.?

Even whether you use Markdown or MultiMarkdown processing can change which words end up in the final document.

It sounds like what you really want to use are CriticMarkup style comments, but even those will be included in the word count.

The only way at the moment to have an accurate word count of your final document is count the words after processing. It's something I'll consider changing, but it would be tough to have an alternative that suits everyone's needs and doesn't bog down the processor with unnecessary work...

Fletcher

--
    Fletcher T. Penney
    Manager, Founder
    MultiMarkdown Software, LLC
    [email blocked]

2. 2 Posted by Rebecca Ross on 05 Aug, 2013 08:50 PM

Hi Fletcher and everyone. Fletcher, thanks so much for your detailed reply. I am going to try the CriticMarkup style comments. They are more elegant somehow, probably because they don't look like HTML. I completely understand the pre vs. post processing word count issues. I'm guessing you have an obvious answer to this but why not just offer the word count based on the preview rather than the input text (or have a preference to opt for one or the other)? For most users it would be closer in length to the target form of the document than the input text. Thanks again, in any case. All the best, Rebecca

PS - I am replying by e-mail but not sure if this auto-posts into the forum. Feel free to copy onto, or I can, if useful.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Fletcher on 05 Aug, 2013 10:45 PM

(Email addresses that include the "tender" bit go to the forum. They respect the privacy setting of the thread, so you have to manually make a thread public if you want others to read. This thread is public).

Some thoughts:

1) The word count will be slightly different between HTML preview and other formats. So this still won't be "perfect."

2) It would confuse some people to type multiple words (somewhere that doesn't "count") and not see the numbers change.

3) To my knowledge, there's not a simple "only count visible words" for an HTML string. So we still have a similar problem that requires additional calculation/performance decrement with each keystroke.

4) This will be further complicated when selecting sections in the TOC, as the info HUD only counts selected sections when you're doing that.

5) What about selecting a portion of text --- would we have to parse the HTML of the entire document to calculate the word count of that one section? That could be tricky.

6) Where do you count footnotes? Where they are inserted? Where they fall at the bottom of the page. A footnote could be typed in one section, but appear later.

7) To do some of this would probably require that the HTML be rendered to a web view, and then run javascript to do the word counting. If the preview is disabled, all word counting may be disabled with it.

8) What about when you include raw LaTeX with the idea of exporting to LaTeX? How do we decide which words to count and which words not to count? Would I have to build a LaTeX parser? ;)

I still think that the word/character count in a text editor should reflect what you type. One can use other applications to manage the output documents as desired (LaTeX/PDF/HTML/RTF/Word/etc.) I think trying to be too clever about this would end up creating more confusion, rather than less. And it would probably still not satisfy everyone.

(BTW -- as an experiment, take a Markdown document and open it in a few text editors (e.g. Byword, WriteRoom, etc). In my testing, the total word count, line count, etc. was often different between applications. Makes you wonder how reliable all this really is.... Composer should always reflect an accurate count of what's in the editing pane --- words(though they might be "symbol words"), lines of text (not blank lines), and total characters)

F-

4. 4 Posted by Rebecca Ross on 06 Aug, 2013 08:16 AM

Dear Fletcher

Thanks for your reply.

I did not mean counting the HTML source code underneath the output but counting the words actually rendering visible in the right-hand view pane, regardless of whether body copy, heading, notes or whatever.

I don't think that you should attempt to make any judgements about what people would want counted or not (footnotes, etc.) as all writing projects have different requirements. Rather, if possible, it would be great to provide a dumb count of words that actually appear in the final doc, whatever the platform. I imagine something like entities made of 1 or more A-Z, a-z with space, enter or punctuation as a delimiter but I'm sure there are others out there who have solved this problem well (am thinking of texcount from way back).

What I'm doing currently is periodically highlighting the text in the right-hand pane and pasting it into an alternative editor to get a count. It sounds like your idea of providing basic stats on whatever is highlighted could do the trick in the most flexible way because it could be used on either pane.

In any case, it's all a suggestion and definitely not intended as whinging. Thanks again for incredibly helpful software!

All best
    Rebecca

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Fletcher on 06 Aug, 2013 08:34 PM

I understood, but the problem is that counting "words" in the preview pane is not a computationally trivial problem --- it contains a big long HTML string, just like viewing the source of a web page. It's not trivial to know which words to count. I could convert the HTML to RTF and do a word count, but that takes CPU cycles, and as mentioned doesn't really solve the problem across output formats.

The highlighting feature already exists, but as with other word counts is for the editor pane, not the preview pane.

If there's a clean solution to this, I'm happy to implement it. I'm not sure whether there is, and certainly haven't thought of it.

6. Fletcher closed this discussion on 06 Aug, 2013 08:34 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac