List of Transcluded files

lindsay

22 Sep, 2017 12:14 PM

When working on a report made up of multiple transcluded files, I get the nice TOC, however it doesn't actually provide any useful editing functionality. What I'd like to be able to do is to double-click on a TOC entry and have MMDC open the transcluded file (if it is) for editing. It would also be useful if a single click scrolled to that part in the preview window.

It would also be nice if there was an optional view (like the TOC view) that lists the hierarchy of the transcluded files (and ability to edit, go to file in finder etc) from that.

This would make working with complex documents much more straightforward than the current hunt to find which file contains the particular content I'm wanting to edit.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Fletcher on 22 Sep, 2017 08:27 PM

I'll consider, but this probably won't happen (at least not exactly as I understand your proposal):

1. It will start to run afoul of Apple's sandboxing policies and intent. The more I start messing with files that are not opened by the user via the Open/Save dialog's the more likely they are to start rejecting the App. While I might leave the App Store at some point, I'm not ready to do that yet.

2. The TOC is very useful for editing when used to edit a single file -- it's not designed for transclusion. It supports giving you an overview of the structure of the entire document (including transcluded files)as an aid -- if it's better to turn that off and go back to the older strategy of only showing what's inside the specific file, I can do that.

3. The ability to run transclusion inside the app is intended as a convenience feature to allow you to see what the entire document will look like, but the intent is that you edit files individually. The main benefit of transclusion is to break a longer work into chunks and work on each chunk separately. Then pull them in together for a final "compilation" step.

4. Because of the flexibility, and potential complexity, of the transclusion process, there are many ways that this could go wrong. (There is not a one-one relationship between the TOC and the transcluded files). I think this would be an edge-case nightmare.

I am, however, working on another approach to some sort of a concept of "projects" that consist of multiple files, and I will take transclusion into account when I do that. It may not be exactly what you described, but hopefully it will meet your needs (and then some).

Thanks for the suggestion!

2. Fletcher closed this discussion on 22 Sep, 2017 08:27 PM.

3. Lindsay Davies re-opened this discussion on 22 Sep, 2017 09:33 PM

4. 2 Posted by Lindsay Davies on 22 Sep, 2017 09:33 PM

Fletcher -

I hear you on the sandboxing, it's problematic for a number of apps.

Something around the concept of a 'project' sounds like it might come
    close to what I'm needing. Thanks.

I guess the 'projects' aspect might also finish off the work you've
    started on tabs?

Best wishes

Lindsay

5. Fletcher closed this discussion on 23 Sep, 2017 01:48 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac