MultiMarkdown Composer 3 Suggestions

Chris White

03 Jun, 2015 06:35 PM

Hey Fletcher,

MultiMarkdown Composer 3 is looking really fantastic, it's made it one of the top Markdown editors I use and could become my default for everything if it had a couple of additional features.

I did a little bit of searching on these features but I apologize if I missed a discussion or these are on your roadmap.

1. GitHub style code fencing with syntax highlighting. This would be awesome in the editor, preview would be less important to me since I use Marked. Since a ton of my notes are code examples and snippets this would let me get my notes out of Atom and Sublime with their less-than-perfect Markdown support.
  2. I love that I can apply different styles to tables since it lets me use a nice writing font for most of my note but use a monospace font for tables, this is awesome! However, it would be great if there was a way to designate that Markdown tables shouldn't wrap since wrapped tables are both visually confusing and hard to work with.
  3. Is there a hotkey to move the cursor backward and forward between cells? I love the way Markdown Table Formatter for Atom and Table Editor for Sublime Text bind all the hotkeys and features. Auto-formatting on tab is also particularly nice.

Keep up the great work, this is turning out beautifully and I'm looking forward to picking up the Pro version when it gets released!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Fletcher on 03 Jun, 2015 06:57 PM

Thanks for writing in with your comments.

1) I don't intend to add syntax highlighting (for programming languages, as I take your meaning) to the editor. MMD itself already supports external syntax highlighters for HTML. This *sort of* works for the preview, but doesn't update with each key stroke -- only with a manual refresh (since most of the javascripts trigger when a page is first loaded):

http://fletcher.github.io/MultiMarkdown-4/fences.html

2) I experimented with this several years ago -- wrapping some text (e.g. plain text) but not tables leads to very poor usability. If you need wide tables, I would recommend using transclusion and editing the table as a separate file. You can change the line length settings as needed.

3) I am experimenting with some more advanced options for tables for the Pro version, but they aren't finished yet. Can't promise anything until it's done.

Fletcher

--
    Fletcher T. Penney
    Manager, Founder
    MultiMarkdown Software, LLC
    [email blocked]

2. 2 Posted by Chris White on 03 Jun, 2015 08:19 PM

Hey Fletcher,

Thanks for your quick reply! It disappointments me a bit that you don't want to do syntax highlighting on code blocks but it isn't a deal breaker.

Working with large tables using transclusion is a fantastic idea, thanks for that suggestion!

With or without advanced table features I'll be first in line for Pro when you release it.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Fletcher on 03 Jun, 2015 08:45 PM

Offering syntax highlighting is a rabbit hole -- first it's HTML, then CSS, then Perl, then…. you get the point.

MultiMarkdown Composer is a tool for writing using MMD. It's not designed as a programmer's text editor. There are too many other tools for that, which are far better suited to that purpose.

But once again, you can also use transclusion if you want to have separate files for code blocks (using a programming text editor with the syntax highlighter of your choice), and include that source inside a fenced code block in your MMD file.

F-

--
    Fletcher T. Penney
    Manager, Founder
    MultiMarkdown Software, LLC
    [email blocked]

4. 4 Posted by Chris White on 03 Jun, 2015 09:43 PM

I can understand that, I would never actually write code in a Markdown editor but I do copy tons of snippets and code examples into my notes for reference and syntax highlighting makes it much easier to reference. I get where you're coming from though.

5. Fletcher closed this discussion on 21 Aug, 2015 09:13 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac