jumpy preview pane

rsiegle

06 Feb, 2014 03:16 AM

It's a little disconcerting to have the preview pane's text hopping up and down while I write. It would be nice if it stabilized so my eyes don't keep jerking over there. Lovely program: I already like it very much.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Fletcher on 06 Feb, 2014 05:53 AM

1) Are you using math? MathJax reloads with each refresh, so it's going to hop. There's no way around this, except to disable math while previewing.

2) If not using math, adjust the preview delay to find a value that works for your machine/document style. You can also set it to only update the preview when you save, giving you manual control over the refresh rate. You can trade responsiveness for smoothness

Having a truly live preview requires frequent refreshes of the HTML content in the preview. Unfortunately, Apple's webkit API somewhat limits ones ability to modify the HTML, instead requiring a complete reload. Similarly, the algorithms used to keep the HTML lined up with the text will occasionally "misfire."

Composer's preview is the fastest I have seen (test using long documents to see the difference in performance), and is the only one I have seen that accurately keeps both panes lined up (other apps use a % from the top algorithm, which only works in quite basic documents).

I also wish that Apple's Webkit did a better job with this, and I continue to look for other tricks to work around the limitations.

Thanks for using Composer, and thanks for writing in!

Fletcher

2. Fletcher closed this discussion on 06 Feb, 2014 05:53 AM.

3. rsiegle re-opened this discussion on 06 Feb, 2014 06:38 PM

4. 2 Posted by rsiegle on 06 Feb, 2014 06:38 PM

Ah, I see. Very good decision on your part to give us the choice between continuous preview and on-save preview. I've switched, am happy, many thanks!

5. Fletcher closed this discussion on 08 Feb, 2014 11:34 PM.

6. Fletcher re-opened this discussion on 08 Feb, 2014 11:34 PM

7. Support Staff 3 Posted by Fletcher on 08 Feb, 2014 11:34 PM

You're quite welcome!

8. Fletcher closed this discussion on 08 Feb, 2014 11:34 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac