Custom header and footer per page for print

||| tomas jay

21 Sep, 2013 03:30 PM

There's not much that I am missing with MMD Composer.
But there is one feature lacking to use MMD Composer as a full replacement for Word: The missing support for custom headers and footers for print. As these features are defined by CSS but not implemented by any browser (also not implemented in WebKit), it would be the absolute highlight if there was a custom functionality implemented in MMD Composer to cover this.
Any chance that this can be seen in a future release? I'd uninstall Word on all of our company's computers, and buy MMD Composer for each employee ...

1. 1 Posted by ||| tomas jay on 21 Sep, 2013 03:34 PM

PS.:
    Yes, and if there were footers with customizable page / chapter numbers and meta data to be used as variables in the headers / footers, then there should be a TOC feature with page numbers as well...

PS 2:
    I guess, fuzzing with LaTeX or MultiMarkdown line commands is not the right choice for unexperienced users. So, this should come in a GUI...

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Fletcher on 21 Sep, 2013 03:46 PM

My philosophy for Composer is that it should not, as a rule, add features that aren't a part of MMD itself. I don't want there to be two versions of MMD -- the regular kind, and the kind that you get when you use Composer.

Never say never, but it's unlikely I would put something like this into Composer. Instead, the "recommended" approach would be to use the native header/footer for each document type (e.g. LaTeX, ODF, HTML, etc. --- they each have different ways of handling headers and footers, and it would be a nightmare to try to coordinate them all from a single MMD syntax).

FTP

3. 3 Posted by ||| tomas jay on 21 Sep, 2013 03:50 PM

Hi Fletcher,

it doesn't need to be anything in the source text. There is no need to adjust the MMD syntax - it is perfect!
    Good enough to put these features into the style section of MMD Composer.

What do you think about this?

Cheers,
    Thomas

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Fletcher on 21 Sep, 2013 03:56 PM

What I meant was that the HTML you get when you convert MMD->HTML on the command line would be different than that which you get when use Composer.

And the metadata for the headers/footers wouldn't be interpreted when run through MMD alone.

At least for now, I think that a HTML/CSS approach to this would be better than adding something to Composer. But I will continue to think about it.

5. 5 Posted by ||| tomas jay on 21 Sep, 2013 04:21 PM

I'm happy to hear that you'll continue to think about it.

I'm just thinking out loud: There are solutions out there to turn plain HTML files (without any extras in the HTML code) into pdfs with custom headers and footers. E.g. there is a pdf generator for Typo 3 - see http://jweiland.net/uploads/media/webkitpdf-1.5.1.pdf‎.

Something that is wrapping the pdf pages ... I just don't understand how it could work ... but I'm confident that there'll be a solution somewhere somewhen ...

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Fletcher on 22 Sep, 2013 04:12 PM

....As if I didn't have any *real* work to do today..... ;)

I dug around the internet, and it turns out there doesn't seem to be a reliable way to use HTML/CSS to create headers and footers that works properly (at least not yet). I thought the CSS 3 stuff that works pretty well for "ebooks" would handle it, but it doesn't quite work yet.

So I played around and figured out why default headers didn't print properly with HTML, and then added a templating system that pulls from the metadata, in addition to the default header "variables" (e.g. title, datestamp, and page information).

I can now create a custom header/footer for printing using a simple template, like:

%title\tDRAFT COPY\t%MMD_DATE

and:

\t\t%MMD_PAGE of %MMD_PAGES

Tabs separate left, middle, right of the header

`%foo` pulls the metadata from the document, if present

`%MMD_FOO` is used for the default header/footer variables (e.g. document title instead of metadata title)

It needs some tweaking and a GUI, but should be in next release.

I'll hold you to your offer to buy Composer for your employees if you like it... ;)

F-

7. Fletcher closed this discussion on 22 Sep, 2013 04:12 PM.

8. Fletcher re-opened this discussion on 22 Sep, 2013 11:56 PM

9. Support Staff 7 Posted by Fletcher on 22 Sep, 2013 11:56 PM

10. Fletcher closed this discussion on 22 Sep, 2013 11:56 PM.

11. Thomas Albinger re-opened this discussion on 23 Sep, 2013 07:04 AM

12. 8 Posted by Thomas Albinger on 23 Sep, 2013 07:04 AM

wow! I am impressed!

13. Support Staff 9 Posted by Fletcher on 23 Sep, 2013 12:23 PM

Glad you like it!

Sent from my iPhone

14. Fletcher closed this discussion on 24 Sep, 2013 11:37 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac