Multimarkdown Coverter

tuxtlequino

28 Mar, 2017 04:21 AM

I just purchased mmd converter. It simplifies my routine, but I have a couple questions and suggestions.

Question.

1. What is the difference between the LATEX format and the LATEX memoir and LATEX beamer. Is this something that can be changed or added by modifying some preferences (Like templates?) If it is not, can this be considered as a suggestion for a future release?

2. What does the Force "snippet" and Force "complete" document accomplish?

Suggestions.

I have several years worth of mmd files stored in Devonthink. Sometimes I want to create a pdf file and I usually open an editor, add the metadata, then convert using mmd, and then I finish converting the PDF using TexShop. Since there is already a way to include certain files to compile ({{file_to_include.md}}), would it be possible to have a Metadata file and then drop the md file into the "Multimarkdown converter" and have that added automatically. There are only so many Latex templates, but a lot of names of md files to be added.

I know that this can be accomplished by having a directory where you keep the metadata file and latex template(s) you want, then drop the file you want to convert into, edit the metadata file and change date, title, etc, and the md file you want to edit. But I believe that the whole point of this app could be to facilitate this. One could even have a template system that way and have a drag and drop system.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Fletcher on 11 Apr, 2017 02:12 PM

My apologies for the delayed response -- your message went to the spam folder for some reason, which I don't check regularly.

1. LaTeX, as you're aware, is a complex set of programs and configurations. MMD has always supported "regular" LaTeX output, but also two variations that modify the output slightly for those who produce beamer documents (for presentations), and those who use the memoir package (includes some extra functionality for longer works e.g. textbooks). If you don't know the difference between them, then it's a safe bet the regular LaTeX is all you need.

2. "snippets" are not complete documents (e.g. not valid HTML, and not full documents for LaTeX), but instead just the relevant portion of the content body. "complete" means that the proper header information is included. Compare the output of both versions, and you'll see what I mean. If you're not sure, stick with complete documents.

I'm not sure I entirely follow your metadata suggestion. There are so many different ways to use metadata, that I'm not sure such a feature would work properly for everyone. Plus, as you mention, every document would have a different title, date, author, etc. So it would still need to be modified.

If you're looking for a faster way to add metadata to the top of your documents, the approach I use is a TextExpander template. It automatically fills in today's date, and allows me to reuse common configurations easily without retyping them. I have one for using my letterhead setup, and another for posts to my website, etc.

Again -- my apologies for the delayed response.

Fletcher

2. 2 Posted by tuxtlequino on 11 Apr, 2017 04:39 PM

Going back to my first question. I figured that something like that was happening on the background and that somehow Converter was applying some templates to the Markdown. I wanted to know where were those templates available and if one could modify them. I do like the memoir class available in Latex, but I use XeLaTex since I work with a lot of foreign languages. That means that I have to remove a couple of packages that you use in your memoir template.

That is where I am going to the metadata suggestion. Since I was assuming that what you had in that menu where templates, I was wondering if one could have a folder with more templates using metadata and the new Latex Config options available in MMD6. I know that this can be done using TexExpander. But what ends up happening when I do that is that I forget the files or templates I have. Since I already have a set of Markdown documents with that metadata, I was thinking of how that could be applied.

Thank you for the response.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Fletcher on 11 Apr, 2017 05:17 PM

Converter is simply a wrapper around MultiMarkdown. Converter doesn't
    do anything special except handle input/output to the MMD engine, and
    set the command line options.

MultiMarkdown doesn't "know" anything about LaTeX except the very basics
    -- how to make a list, how to make something bold, etc. All of the
    package management stuff is handled in what are called "LaTeX Support
    Files". You can change those however you like, or even get rid of them
    entirely and create your own.

A key thing here is that all of those files are handled by LaTeX (or
    XeLaTeX). Other than embedding a `\include{foo}` command, MMD doesn't
    even have to know whether or not those files exist, much less what they
    contain. It's similar to the separation between HTML and CSS in a way.

Those files are installed wherever you put them. I recommend
    `~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/mmd6` for the new MMD-6 ones. You can get
    those here:

https://github.com/fletcher/MultiMarkdown-6/tree/master/texmf/tex/latex/mmd6

The `LaTeX Config` metadata option is exactly where you can control
    this. Once you build your system of LaTeX template files, you "never"
    have to touch it again.

This is completely separate from the `beamer` and `memoir` options --
    those actually change the fundamental LaTeX conversion in a few small
    but important ways. But only if you need beamer and memoir support.

But I suspect we still don't quite understand each other 100%. It might
    help if you sent me some sample files showing exactly what your intent
    would be?

F-

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac