Unable to post this in existing thread: MMC beta Version 3.0b49 (49) does NOT create or open textbundles

usable.thought

24 Mar, 2017 05:57 PM

I tried posting a reply to Fletcher's latest comment in the "MMC3 beta and Text Bundle," and despite logging into the forum & trying in two different browsers, my replies don't show up even though the message is that they were posted successfully. So I will starting a new thread to see if that works.

Anyway - I have the beta Version 3.0b49 (49) for MMC; the "About" message for this beta says it is "MultiMarkdown Composer 3 (Standard/Pro/Light)." As currently installed, it does not seem equipped for textbundle in two respects:
1) There is no "Save as . . . " option whatsoever in the File menu for this beta, thus no way I can see to save as a textbundle.
2) I downloaded both the version 1 and version 2 example files for a text bundle from Textbundle.org, and the beta won't open either of them; it says that I need the "pro" version.

If needing the "pro" version is the catch, how does one buy that if it isn't for sale yet? My copy of the paid version 2, which is the only paid version that I am aware of, is build Version 2.9 (60), and doesn't mention anything about Standard, Pro, or Light.

Or is it possible that installing both the beta of 3 and the standard version of 2 is somehow causing a prefs confusion?? I'm running Mavericks still. And as for the standard version, I bought the App Store version, but am running the version off your store (I forget why this is, but I remember vaguely that doing so has an advantage; probably something I would have read about in the support pages).

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Fletcher on 24 Mar, 2017 06:44 PM

The "Save"/"Save As..." menu options are handled differently in the last few years of macOS than they were in older Mac OS X days -- in any case, when you save new files you can choose the format. You can then either do a Save As or a Duplicate or whatever to create a new file with a new type, depending on your OS and your settings.

As for Pro, the download links are in the same place as the regular download links:

http://support.multimarkdown.com/kb/future-plans/where-can-i-downlo...

As for your posting troubles, I see two other messages from you on other threads -- maybe it just takes a while for your browser to recognize it needs to refresh???

Fletcher

2. 2 Posted by usable.thought on 24 Mar, 2017 08:03 PM

Ah! That was it! I downloaded the non-Pro beta; I have now downloaded the Pro ditto and it works. I hadn't realized there was a difference between the two download links; I'm guessing this was because the browser (e.g. Chrome) cuts off the displayed link with a " . . . " and for whatever reason I didn't mouse over the link to see the full name.

So I should be all set. Thanks.

P.S. I really hope the "Textbundle" feature becomes popular in the same manner as an RTFD file; as much as I like using markdown for various purposes, the need for separate folders for images is an annoyance when it comes to sorting in the Finder.

P.P.S. I don't know what it was with that other thread, but I don't think it had to do with browser refreshing; possibly a cookie problem or some such, I don't know. This is the link: http://support.multimarkdown.com/discussions/questions/3408-mmc3-be...

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Fletcher on 25 Mar, 2017 01:20 AM

There's a post from you on that other thread -- I assume that you only had one?

I am admittedly torn about the Textbundle format. It's a good idea in theory, but I'm not 100% convinced in practice.

4. 4 Posted by usable.thought on 25 Mar, 2017 08:05 AM

"There's a post from you on that other thread -- I assume that you only had one?

Correct. When I tried to post a follow-up, that's what I was unable to do; hence I started this fresh thread.

"I am admittedly torn about the Textbundle format. It's a good idea in theory, but I'm not 100% convinced in practice."

Can I ask, are your reservations technical in nature; or is it that the demand doesn't seem to be there? I must admit my own interest has nothing to do with sharing between sandboxed apps (which seems to have been the main driver behind the idea) and much more to do with simple file management from a one-user perspective. I am a little concerned that it doesn't seem to have gotten a lot of traction, judging from the spareness of search results.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Fletcher on 26 Mar, 2017 01:42 AM

It's more about demand/understanding.

In my opinion, the best thing about Markdown is its simplicity. You write a plain text file on any computer using a simple format that is easy to remember. It becomes HTML.

MultiMarkdown expands on this, but every new feature I add runs the risk of crossing the line into feature bloat. So think carefully before adding new features.

The Textbundle format solves a specific problem, but does it in a way that hides the inner workings of the file. Just a little in the usual textbundle format (since it's still just a folder), but more in the zipped variant.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not on a crusade to get rid of the format. But not sure that I'll do much to try and advance it.

But since I count myself a friend of Brett Terpstra, and he's a big supporter of Composer, I'll keep supporting it. ;)

6. Fletcher closed this discussion on 02 Nov, 2017 04:26 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac