Interaction between elastic tabstops (or wrapping?) and indentation in outlines

Shane

13 Jul, 2016 01:10 AM

There's a way in which elastic tabstops (or just wrapping?) interacts with the levels of indentation of an outline (lists embedded in lists) to produce inconsistent wrapping of longer lines, such as here:

* Test
    * Test
        * Test
            * Test.
    * (3) Some longer test that will wrap with the right size window/max. line length.
        * (1) Some longer test that will wrap with the right size window/max. line length.
            * (2) Some longer test that will wrap with the right size window/max. line length.
        * Some longer test that will wrap with the right size window/max. line length.

This effect is only visible if you paste the above in a window narrow enough to force the longer lines to wrap. Once you have that, you'll notice, on the one hand, lines like (1) and (2) that are indented with respect to the previous line and wrap such that the wrapped lines align with the first '*' character beginning the list item. On the other hand, if the previous line is indented further than the current line (i.e. the current is less indented than the previous), as in the line labeled (3) above, the wrapped lines align with the indentation of the above line.

My understanding of elastic tabstops is that they are based on the context/nearby lines, so I imagine that is what is going on. Or maybe it has nothing to do with it, since it's about text wrapping, not tabstops.

My question is, would it be possible to always have wrapped lines of list items aline to the first line of the item? I'm not sure if that could be the general behavior or if it would be possible to have a preference. I understand that there cannot be a preference for every detail/pet interest of a user.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Fletcher on 13 Jul, 2016 01:45 AM

I'll need to dig into it to see exactly what is happening.

It's not tabstops (that only effects tabs, not line wrapping). It
    appears to happen when a list item is outdented compared to the line
    above it (e.g. `(3)` and the last list item).

I *think* this can be fixed without too much trouble.

Thanks!

Fletcher

2. Fletcher closed this discussion on 13 Oct, 2017 02:01 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac