Preview Adds Excessive Padding at Top + Lines Shift Up & Down

sylvaticus

21 Apr, 2020 08:20 PM

Something is happening in the Preview pane as I type:

I start at the top of the window in MMDC and type "This is a test." For some reason, the Preview pane displays the text about seven inches from the top. I press Return twice. In the Preview pane, the text moves down two lines. I type "This is another test." The original line moves back up two lines and the next text appears as expected. I press return twice again. Both lines move down two lines. I type "This is a third test." Both lines move back up two lines and the text appears as expected. If press Backspace, text disappears until I delete the final character, at which point the two lines move back down two lines. I press Backspace once more and they lines move up one line. I press Backspace a final time (cursor is now at the end of the second row of text). The text moves back up one more line.

I deselect Synchronize preview location while typing. Now the lines don't shift, but act as expected. If I close the file and reopen it, the Preview pane displays the first line of text about three inches from the bottom of the screen (27"). I have to scroll the text to the top; there is no shifting when I do. If I create a new file and open the Preview pane, it too displays the first line as I type at the very bottom of the screen, about three inches from the bottom.

Am I doing something wrong? CSS style is set to Pretentious. Switching to GitHub doesn't change anything (still Times New Romann too). I'd rather not have the text shifting up and down with large gaps at the top of the screen. I can probably leave off syncing and just scroll the first line up to the top of the Preview pane, but I'd rather not.

I'd consider just using Marked, but it doesn't display transcluded files unless they're at the beginning of a line.

Thanks for any help, and I hope you're all safe and healthy, especially Dr Penney!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Fletcher on 04 May, 2020 01:41 PM

There is extra space in the preview that is there to allow proper scrolling so that the preview and the editor can align the "active" line of text between the editor and the preview.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Fletcher on 04 May, 2020 01:42 PM

And thanks for the well wishes!! Fortunately managed to do my most recent 16 day stretch at the hospital without getting exposed to any coronavirus patients, so I will count that as a win!!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac