Slow Font Size changes with 54,000 word document

Paul Solt

14 Nov, 2019 04:13 PM

I have a "work log" and it's 54,000 words and growing and a manuscript that is 97,000 words.

Changing the font size up/down with Command +/- is very slow.

1. Can you figure out the current top of the document position (what sentence/words are at the top) and then keep that offset?
2. Font changes shouldn't have to recalculate the entire document to resize what's currently visible
3. Anchor my content so it doesn't shift around and at least the current top position is maintained as text moves off screen/onscreen as I make font size changes.

Expected: Don't lose my place, be responsive
Actual: Very slow and line numbers keep shifting offscreen, the position is not maintained, so I lose context. Spinning color wheel, laggy font size changes.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Fletcher on 15 Nov, 2019 06:24 PM

Command +/- zooms, it doesn't change the font size. But either way, yes -- it does have to recalculate the entire document -- line widths change, line heights change, etc.

I'll look at whether there is anything I can reasonably do about scroll offset -- but depending on where you are in the window, it's not possible -- the top and the bottom cannot both be where they used to be when zooming in/out.

Either way, the quickest way to return focus to where the cursor is is to simply type a letter and delete it. That causes the selected range to be visible no matter what.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac