Bug? Preview doesn't show space character until punctuation is added.

sylvaticus

15 Jul, 2019 02:15 PM

Heya, Mr Penney,

I may have found a couple bugs, but one of them appears in your Preview, the other in Marked (and might not be a bug), which I'll post on Brett's support site.

I'm creating a demo for my manager (to convince him that I and the new writer we're hiring should write in multimarkdown. I think your incorporation of transclusion is awesome! So, I created a couple files in a folder called /defs (for definitions). Then, in my demo article, I wrote this:

{{def/def-liveconversation.md}} {{def/def-quickanswers.md}}

It works perfectly! I love MC more and more every day! To demo some other ways using MC would be a great tool, I clicked between the two files and started typing. I placed the cursor right next to the opening curly bracket:

{{def/def-liveconversation.md}} and then there is this {{def/def-quickanswers.md}}

The problem is that Preview ignores the space after "this," If I type a colon after "this," still nothing; press space, nothing; press "d" and suddenly Preview adds the space *before* the "d" automatically. Same with a period.

Then I can press Backspace to remove the period and keep typing and the space remains.

I created a quick screen recording in case that helps.

(FYI, the Marked 2 bug is that Marked only displays the content of the transcluded file only when it starts a new line. If I transclude a file in the middle of a paragraph, all I see is "{{filename.md}}." I think the literal code is preserved in export too, but I tried this on Friday and can't recall. )

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Fletcher on 15 Jul, 2019 03:31 PM

The space issue is actually a bug in Apple's software (WebView) that requires a workaround from Composer (the details of this are long and technical, and not worth repeating here.). If you want the preview to refresh, the last thing you type can't be a space. Just keep working and all is fine. If you're making a change that only involves inserting a space, then as you note you can type anything else and then delete it.

To be clear, the space is there, the preview just isn't refreshing when you type a space.

As for Marked -- that is a Marked issue. Brett used custom transclusion code rather than MMD, so you'll have to discuss that with him.

F-

2. Fletcher closed this discussion on 15 Jul, 2019 03:31 PM.

3. sylvaticus re-opened this discussion on 15 Jul, 2019 03:36 PM

4. 2 Posted by sylvaticus on 15 Jul, 2019 03:36 PM

Awesome! Thanks!! I'll try to remember that (sounds exactly like the kind of thing I'll forget in two weeks LOL)!

And I already heard back from Brett. Turns out it never occurred to him that someone would use an inline transclusion. Hopefully my example shows the use of that ability and he'll add the ability someday in the (far) future.

Thanks again and regards,

Keith

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Fletcher on 15 Jul, 2019 03:41 PM

Glad you've got answers.

Another option with Marked is to use Composer's "Transclude to New File", and then preview that file with Marked. You would only want to do that when you were finished, but you could use Composer's preview while editing, and then "export to Marked" if you wanted to create a PDF with his themes/features.

F-

6. Fletcher closed this discussion on 15 Jul, 2019 03:41 PM.

7. sylvaticus re-opened this discussion on 15 Jul, 2019 04:10 PM

8. 4 Posted by sylvaticus on 15 Jul, 2019 04:10 PM

Yay answers!

OK, this is a little embarrassing: I have "Enable file transclusion" enabled, but I can't find "Transclude to New File." Maybe because I can't find it and haven't enabled it, I'm not sure what that would do.

Re themes, I'm working on creating a css file based on our company's style guide, so when I have that, I'll need to learn how to create the theme in MC and Marked.

9. Support Staff 5 Posted by Fletcher on 15 Jul, 2019 04:12 PM

It's cleverly hidden in the file menu as "Transclude to New File".

;)

10. 6 Posted by sylvaticus on 15 Jul, 2019 07:23 PM

I was wrong: It's not "a little embarrassing," it's über embarrassing! LOL

Cool. I'll keep that suggestion in mind. I holding out hope that Brett thinks it's a good enough idea to implement sooner rather than later. That man is so insanely busy, though, that I appreciate this suggestion. I'll just concatenate a bunch of new files!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• mc_bug_720.mov 5.22 MB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac