Problems with CriticMarkup

enrico.scarpella

07 Jul, 2019 04:50 AM

Dear Fletcher,

When I toggle the CriticMarkup sidebar and click on the changes, their position in the text is not always highlighted. The behavior is pervasive (it happens pretty much with all my files) but erratic: if I click on a change in the side bar, sometimes the position of the change in the text is highlighted and sometimes it's not. Would you have any idea about what could be triggering this behavior? I am using version 4.5.12 (104) of Composer with MacOS 10.14.5 (18F132). Thank you for your consideration.

Best regards,
Enrico

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Fletcher on 07 Jul, 2019 02:52 PM

Enrico,

There is a slight delay between whenever you edit the text and when other "derived information" is updated. This includes the TOC, references sidebar, and the change list. (Updating with every keystroke adds extra CPU demand that is wasted most of the time.)

I *think* the only time I can replicate this is when I try use the change list immediately after typing. After a second or so, it then works.

You'll also notice that if you type a character at the end of the document, the change list still works because it is still accurate. If you type a character at the beginning of the document, it doesn't work -- all of the changes are now off by 1 character, until the update happens.

If this explanation fits with what you're seeing, then it is probably working as designed. Just give it a second between typing and navigating with the change list.

If it *doesn't* fit, then send me a screen recording and maybe I can pick up on something else that is going on?

Thanks!!

Fletcher

--
    Fletcher T. Penney
    Manager, Founder
    MultiMarkdown Software, LLC
    [email blocked]

2. 2 Posted by enrico.scarpell... on 07 Jul, 2019 03:36 PM

Dear Fletcher,

Thank you very much for your — as always! — prompt and helpful reply. Everything that you described fits with what I am seeing — so that's good news — except that I also observe the erratic no-highlighting at the end of the editing phase, when I am going through/reviewing one by one the changes I or someone else made and deciding whether to accept them or reject them. It last happened to me on Wed Jul 3, but now I can no longer replicate the issue, even with the same file; I will ll follow your suggestion and if it happens again, I will immediately screen-record it and make the recording available to you.

By the way, I would like to thank you for maintaining the CriticMarkup feature: Composer is pretty much the only app where this is done: the CriticMarkup package for Sublime Text and the CriticMarkup Codeless Language Module for BBEdit no longer work in ST3 and BBEdit12 (though one can still use the feature in ST3 with the Academic Markdown package). I was therefore particularly excited to see that nvUltra will support CriticMarkup, so thank you (and Brett Terpstra) very much for that.

Best regards,
    Enrico

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac