Yes, I am sure: for example, see the attached screenshot of the "Get Info" window for those files, which matches the "File Names" screenshot in my opening post (i.e. extension shown for the first three files and hidden for the fourth one).
Moreover, as mentioned, the very same files transclude perfectly through Marked 2 by using, in a transclusion file with the Marked 2 transclusion syntax, the very same file names and extensions I had used in the transclusion file I created to transclude through Composer.
For some unknown reason, I can not replicate the issue either: today, everything works just fine, even though I have not changed anything: I have not restarted Composer or the computer; since yesterday, I did quit a few applications, though (e.g., Marked 2, Tinderbox 8, DTPO/DT3 and SublimeText 3). I wondered whether any of those were somehow interfering, so I re-opened them all, but no: file transclusion through Composer still works perfectly... So I am not sure what to say, other than I am sorry for wasting your time. Thank you for bearing with me.
A quick note just to let you know that the problem with file transclusion I described above continues to happen, albeit intermittently. I don't know if it helps to diagnose the issue, but I find it is solved by opening in MMD Composer all the files that need to be transcluded before launching the command "New file from transclusion". It works, but it's inconvenient when I am working with >50 files that need to be transcluded, so I was wondering whether you had any suggestions. Thank you for your consideration.
Thank you very much for your prompt and helpful reply.
Sorry it's still causing you trouble.
No need to apologize, please: this is a minor inconvenience, more than compensated by the joy of using MMD Composer, which is the only app I use to write.
It sounds like a sandboxing issue. Are the files being transcluded in the same folder as the master file (or in a subfolder?)
Yes, they are all in the same folder.
Is the preview pane enabled? If not, make sure to toggle it on to see if that asks for permission.
No, it isn't, so I've now tried the following with three different groups of files to be transcluded -- each group in their own folder. For each of the three groups, I've tried to "Transclude to a new file", but for all of them the resulting file was only partly correct -- same problem as in my opening post. However, when I enabled the preview, two of them showed me a perfect preview of the transcluded files and the third asked me for permission to do it; after granting the permission, it too showed me a perfect preview of the transcluded files. And now, for all the three groups of files to be transcluded, the function "Transclude to a new file" produced a perfect transclusion of all the files. I am not sure why permission was asked only in one of the three cases, but it seems that in all of them, enabling the preview did the trick.
I would like to take advantage of this opportunity to thank you for the "Open Folder" option: I use it all the time when I write manuscripts: I write their different parts in separate .md files; all the files are in the same folder; and when I need to submit to co-authors or journals, I just create a file of the whole manuscript by means of transclusion.
Finally, I have an unrelated feature request, if I may, that would enhance even more the usefulness of the app: the possibility to style keywords of choice -- for example, the word "Figure" or "Table": by styling them differently from the rest of the text, I would be able to readily notice whether I had refer to them in the correct order in the text. I suspect this is not as easy to do as it is to ask, and my needs may very well be niche ones, so I suspect such a feature will never be implemented, but I thought I could do no harm by asking... In any case, thank you very much for your consideration.
Fletcher on 26 Jun, 2019 10:51 PM
Glad it's working!!
I'm not sure I understand the feature request. You mean unique styling for arbitrary words that the user chooses? I would have to think about that. Since it's not part of MMD, there's not a built-in way to do it, and I'm not sure it really fits the scope of what Composer is.
Thank you very much for your prompt reply, Fletcher.
I'm not sure I understand the feature request. You mean unique styling for arbitrary words that the user chooses?
Yes, that's exactly what I meant.
I would have to think about that. Since it's not part of MMD, there's not a built-in way to do it, and I'm not sure it really fits the scope of what Composer is.
I totally understand that, and mine may be a niche need, which I currently take care of in BBEdit with a custom Codeless Language Module; I just thought it would be great if it could be integrated in Composer, so that I could do everything I need to do in a single app. But because I use Composer as a "writing app" to write manuscripts, I realize I perhaps use it in a non-orthodox way, and, again, I understand if my request cannot be taken into account because it deviates too much from the philosophy of the app.