Backtick vs Smart Pairs

mmd

19 Sep, 2018 07:23 AM

At least with a german keyboard layout (where the backtick (`) is a dead key which can be combined with a subsequently typed vowel charater in order to put a grave accent on it), it is practically impossible to enter code blocks in MMD composer with the default setting of backticks being set up in Smart Pairs: I enter a backtick, and it is correctly doubled, the cursor placed between the pair. So far, so good. Both backticks are highlighted in yellow (indicating macOS is waiting for a second keypress). Now if I enter text, both backticks are again duplicated, the cursor placed behind, resulting in: "````input".
I had remove the backticks from the Smart Pairs list in order to be able to enter code correctly.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Fletcher on 26 Sep, 2018 07:08 PM

Sorry for the delay -- your post was routed to the spam folder for some reason, so I didn't see it until today.

Your solution is probably the correct one. The only other option, it would seem, would be for Composer to assume that every time the backtick key was pressed that you intended a backtick character, and not a grave accent. It could then disable the marked text (the yellow highlighting). Then smart pairs would work, but it would become difficult (if not impossible?) to use the backtick key as an accent key.

Do you have any different thoughts?

Fletcher

2. Fletcher closed this discussion on 14 Oct, 2018 08:09 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac